Kellet YO-60 autogyro
The Kellett KD-1 was a 1930s American autogyro built by the Kellett Autogiro Company. It had the distinction of being the first practical rotary-wing aircraft used by the United States Army and inaugurated the first scheduled air-mail service using a rotary-wing aircraft. It had two open cockpits, a fixed tailwheel landing gear and was powered by a 225hp (168kW) Jacobs L-4 radial engine. After testing of the prototype a commercial variant designated the KD-1A was put into production. The KD-1A had a three-bladed rotor with folding blades and a number of minor detail improvements. In 1935 the United States Army bought a KD-1 for evaluation and designated it the YG-1, a second aircraft followed which had additional radio equipment and was designated the YG-1A. These two aircraft were followed by a batch of seven designated YG-1B. In 1942 seven more were bought for use in the observation role as the XO-60. Six XO-60s were re-engined with 300hp (224kW) Jacobs R-915-3s and re-designated YO-60. One YG-1B was modified with a constant-speed rotor and was re-designated the YG-1C, it was later re-engined with the more powerful R-915 and re-designated again as the XR-2. The XR-2 was destroyed by rotor ground resonance problems and the evaluation was continued with another modified YG-1B designated the XR-3.
Thanks to Wikipedia for the
above info. Additional
information on this aircraft can be found at Wikipedia
(updated October 2010)
Kellett XO-60 autogyro
Type: two-seat Observation autogyro Crew: 2 Armament: none Specifications: Length: 28 ft 10 in (8.79 m) Height: n/a Empty Weight: n/a Max Weight: n/a Propulsion: No. of Engines: 1 Powerplant: Jacobs R-915-3 radial Horsepower: 300 hp Performance: Range: n/a Cruise Speed: n/a Max Speed: n/a Ceiling: n/a
(go to manufacturer's page)
If this page does not have a navigational frame on the left, click HERE to see the rest of the website.