Designed in response to a 1931 contract for a replacement for the PY-1 flying boat, the P2Y sesquiplane flying boat served in Navy squadrons from 1933 to the end of 1941, when all of the P2Ys were withdrawn from operational use (being replaced by the more advanced Consolidated PBY Catalina). A number of P2Ys served at NAS Pensacola in a training role during 1941-3, but otherwise they were not actively used during the war.
For more photos, history, and info on this aircraft, see the P2Y webpage at
Additional information on this aircraft can be found at Wikipedia here.
(updated February 2009)
Type: Patrol Flying Boat Crew: five Armament: two dorsal gun hatches behind wings one .30 cal machine gun in bow 2,000 lbs. of bombs or depth charges Specifications: Length: 61' 9" Height: 19' 1" Wingspan: 100' Weight: 12,769 empty, 25,266 gross Wing Area: 1514 sq. feet Propulsion: No. of Engines: 2 Powerplant: Wright R-1820-90 Horsepower: 750 hp each Performance: Range: 1180 miles with 2000 lb bombload Cruise Speed: 117 mph Max Speed: 139 mph at 4000 feet Ceiling: 16,100 ft
(go to Consolidated page)
If this page does not have a navigational frame on the left, click HERE to see the rest of the website.